Craig Arend - The new yorker behind Models off Duty
Craig Arend is the creator of AltamiraNYC, a fashion blog that documents people and what they wearing. That includes models, editors and other fashion victims. We met him at London Fashion Week. 2012-09-24 11:54
So Craig, we've met you a hundred times during the fashion weeks. What are you actually doing?
- When I'm not sending off names for one of my This Is New York parties for "the list", or photographing backstage at Marc Jacobs for the @nytimesfashion instagram, or photographing for my blog altamira: modelsoffduty.com , or tweeting to everyone under the sun you mean? Probably just sampling food from around the world at whichever city I happen to be in at the time: a traditional English Breakfast, a Lithuanian pancake, or a Parisian croissant.
Tell us about your relationship with Sweden!
- I fell in love with Sweden because the people are generally different from the people in NYC. In Sweden, you are a person first and an occupation second. In NYC, the global capital of economic drive, you are an occupation first and a person second. In Sweden, roughly 10% of the population is Upper Class and 10% is Lower Class and there's barely any distinction between the classes when compared with NYC. It's a nice change.
What would you bring to New York from Stockholm and vice versa?
- I hope to Bring a This is New York party to Stockholm like I did for London and Paris Fashion Week. And to take back to the States from Sweden? I'd say some clean Scandinavian air.
Which fashion week did you like the most this far?
- Nothing compares to Paris. If you go in with an open mind, if you are adventurous, you can come out a different person at the end. It's an adult playground, truly.
You're a networking pro. What's your trick?
- Treating someone as a person first and an occupation second. I ask not, "what can people do for me?" I ask, "What can I do for people?" ;)
What would you recommend Modettes readers to do while visiting New York?
- Contact me and if I'm in town I'll give you a fashion tour of the city!